PHYSICAL SCIENTIST / PROGRAMMING GENERALIST
Portland, OR or Golden, CO
Air Sciences is seeking a candidate with a background in engineering or the physical sciences, with experience and a strong interest in database development, data analysis and web development. The successful candidate will be able to contribute to a range of research and analytical projects on topics of air quality, support and enhance existing full stack data collection and reporting systems, and create new tools focused on enhancing the company’s ability to deliver informative and insightful analysis of environmental data.
We are looking for candidates who can respond to change, pick up new technologies quickly and adapt to changing requirements. Candidates who take pride in their work and have strong design and development expertise. We value quality code delivery and expect candidates to demonstrate competence at writing, testing, and debugging code.
This is a staff or senior level, full-time, exempt position based in Portland, OR or Golden, CO.
About the job:
50% Delivery and Execution – Develops, tests, deploys, and maintains full stack development projects with a focus on environmental data management and visualization. Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm; Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances; Develops test suites (functional, destructive, etc) to enable success, rapid deployment of code to production; Takes a broad view when approaching issues; using a global lens.
25% Learns and Grows – Learns through successful and failed experiment when tackling new problems; Actively seeks ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels. Contributes to research and analytical science projects environmental data processing and analyses.
25% Plans and Aligns – Collaborates with other team members; creates new and better ways for the organization to be successful; delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences; Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations. Relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
- Science or engineering degree (environmental, physics, chemical, mechanical, or equivalent) preferred. Computer science or mathematics/statistics will be considered.
- Experience with Linux-based development environments
- Experience with SQL database best practices
- Familiarity with cybersecurity standards
- Familiarity with administering and deploying cloud-based services (AWS, Azure)
- Experience or strong interest in one or more server-side languages (e.g. PHP, c#, Node.js, flask, FastAPI)
- Familiarity with scientific computing and data analysis libraries such as Pandas .
- Analytical, problem solving, communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions to both large and small audiences
We offer a competitive benefits package & great work environment:
- Competitive salary
- Hybrid Remote Work Opportunity
- Competitive health insurance program
- Paid time off program including paid holidays
- Casual dress code
- Room for growth
- Collaborative environment
Please send your resume, cover letter and a link to your GitHub (or equivalent) account with a code sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Air Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth and pregnancy-related conditions), gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. Air Sciences’s management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, access to facilities and programs and general treatment during employment.